Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless Steel Rusting

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimBow123

Mechanical
Oct 17, 2007
US
I was wondering if anyone could describe what is happening in the attached picture. The parts are cast stainless CF8 as per ASTM A351 and then machined. We obtained data from an independent lab that showed that the chemisty and physicals were per the standard. The parts were put through an environmental test with humidity and temperature (80°C). Out of 12 units only 3 showed signs of this corrosion.

Could suggestion be made on how to remedy this issue?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It looks like you may have machined into inclusions or unmixed metal in the casting. Are there pits at these locations?
Clean them up and passivate in nitric acid and see it you still get the same response.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Do all the pieces have the same type of discontinuity or are the other 2 in different areas… can you send pictures of the other 2… if possible?
Thanks

That is a slag or sand defect observed. . Probably this went unnoticed by the foundry, else they could have salvaged it. Actually defect is over a large surface area, and should have been noticed while grinding or after shot blasting.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." — Thomas Edison

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back