Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless Steel To Copper Pipe Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBP

Mechanical
Mar 28, 2001
CA
Hi: I've got an unusual application (for me, anyway) which requires an adapter to take me from stainless steel pipe (probably sch 10) to type 'L' copper pipe. This would all be 2" and under, and needs to meet ASME pressure piping code standards for oxygen service. I'd rather not get into fabricating these (or having them fabricated), if there's already a component on the market that'll take me where I need to go. The SS end could be socket or butt weld, and the copper end could be either male or female, suitable for silver soldering or brazing.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TBP:

You did not specify conditions( T, P, GOX, LOX),
but two options are 1) flange both pipes and connect them; or 2) Swagelok has some adapter fittings in sizes to 2", mostly to 1"

I've considered compression fittings, but I think they'll drive the price too high to be competitive. The existing system doesn't have any flanged or screwed joints in it, so I don't think I'll have much luck proposing those methods. (If this was to be installed in MY plant, I'd want silver solded/brazed/welded connections in this service.)

Thanks for your response.

Do a word search for dielectric unions on the web. If you are dealing with water applications and need to avoid galvanic corrosion, then dielectric unions and/or flanges may be what you need (copper to, brass, steel, SS., etc.).

Thanks for your thoughts, steam600, but the joints MUST be welded/brazed. Screwed joints of any kind will be rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back