Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stainless steel treatment for reduced friction on ice...Thoughts?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MeridianDesign

Materials
Dec 4, 2011
Hello!

First post on this very cool and helpful forum. I'm looking for some creative feedback on an issue I'm currently researching. So here we go, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I am currently researching the relationship between steel blades and ice in the sport of bobsleigh. I've already tested using different compositions of steel, some harder, some softer, etc. For this particular experiment I'm just using stainless steel. So here is the question, can anyone think of any methods for treating or polishing the steel to reduce friction or introduce a lubricating effect between the steel and the ice?

Whatever the treatment is it must obviously possess some sort of water resistance (sliding on ice), chemical resistance (contact with acetone and citrus so it must be able to withstand these chemicals as well). I've considered using certain lubricants, waxes, and embedding chemicals in the pours of the steel but I am way outside of my expertise the area of manipulating steel in this way.

So, if anyone can think of any chemicals, treatments, or polishing techniques to make this bobsled go a little faster down the ice track please post them.

Hopefully this unique post has made someone smile haha, have fun!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

was to develop ways in training to achieve higher speeds to teach the pilots to react to steering a few kms/hr more.

Give them a boost at the start? (Some kind of winch?)

Start higher up the hill (if possible)?

Build a "rule bending" sled? IE: 10% heavier, longer, whatever. Take the parameters that normally restrict performance and tweak them slightly, since it is only a training sled. Sort of "blueprinted and then some".

Why restrict yourself to the blades if you are trying to retain "competition handling"?

Do a search for “Dolphin skin”. Tremendously good at reducing friction. The navy has studied it extensively. Might be some public domain info.

It seems you want to run on water. Will you touch ice during turns and do you want to?

Skin particle flaking seems to reduce drag for dolphins by breaking up whirls created by passage though water. Do you want runners that shed?

We got into this because we were approached about supplying low friction material for runners. Definitely a no-go as tbeulna’s excellent post made clear.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

"But if [hardness] helps I think it is because with greater strength, aka hardness, your structure is stiffer."

I believe Stiffness is controlled by Young's modulus/ Elastic Modulus/ Modulus of Elasticity, which is pretty much yield/tensile strength independent among ferrous metals.

Stainless generally can be work hardened, so aggressive peening before machining the blade might accomplish it.

Please also check on developments in speedskating!
Currently, top of the notch steel blades in speed skating are made using powder metallurgy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back