Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stainless steel tube design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

todd2ny

Civil/Environmental
Feb 4, 2008
US
I have a question as it relates to stainless steel tubing design. Can I use the AISC 13th ed to do this design or is there another manual I should be using?

Thanks

T.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, stainless steel behaves quite differently to mild steel.

Look in your building code for which version of the stainless code you should be using.

There is no clear direction in US Codes on how to design structural stainless steel. The British and Europeans have it more neatly defined. You're left to your own judgement on how to design structural stainless.

If you're using cold formed ASCE has a publication on how to design with that.

Good luck.

RC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Try going to
Search for Design Manual for Structural Stainless Steel.

Once you provide your email address you should be able to download it. However you will not be able to print it.

It is in accordance with Eurocode 3 though so might not be any use in the US.

Alternatively;

Search for SCI Report P291 Structural Design of Stainless Steel by Baddoo aand Burgan

This is based on BS 5950 although the BS does not actually cover stainless.

Both of these are Ultimate Limit State approaches.

What kind of design are you doing? We design built-up stainless steel members using AISC 9th (just because we haven't had time to learn the new code yet). But I can't see why you couldn't design using the current AISC code. Just calculate section properties, Fy, E, etc, and work from there....

As far as the tables in AISC, of course you can't assume SS shapes have the same member properties of a CS shape. But from the ground up, why couldn't you use AISC code?

namanges

Namanges,
Your attitude for this topic worries me. Have you researched if stainless acts the same as carbon steel? The answer is no, it does not.
Using a modified version of the 9th edition AISC code is more what you should be doing.

One of the main differences is that carbon steel has a constant modulus of elasticity, while stainless has a varying modulus of elasticity based on the stresses in the steel. Stainless steel should not be designed as carbon steel and if you just research it slightly, you would realize this.

Check out Specialty Steel Institute of North America's website. They provide some information with regard to designing stainless steel.

RC
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke

RCraine,
No need to worry. As was already stated above, there is no American code that deals directly with stainless steel and as you have mentioned, stainless steel does not behave like carbon steel. I have reviewed the referenced design guidelines above and have been unable to see where the calculation of allowable stresses for structural stainless steel were mentioned. Without the availability of these calculations, we (as engineers) must use our best engineering judgement (believe it or not). In my case, I work on propriety designs for a company that has been in the business for years. In this design work we have dealt very closely with several stainless steel producers (Allegheny Ludlum being one of them). Without an American code, we are forced to design to the next best thing (AISC code - in this case - taking conservative values for Fy, E, etc). Much of our design work is stiffened plate, built-up sections, and etc that is typically very much over-designed. That being said, I would like to say that I took your comments very seriously, and have discussed these thoughts, comments, and ideas of this thread with my superiors--trying to figure out what (if any codes) we should be designing too. Our client base certainly is not interested in us designing to a Eurocode (not to mention that none of our engineers are familiar with it). So until an American structural stainless steel code is adapted, we will continue to use our best engineering judgement.

namanges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back