Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

stainless steel welding 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

korobi

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2001
PL
Hello,
I am trying to plan some activities related to stainless steel welding in a very tight time schedule. I need to know how much more time in average does it take to weld stainless steel (DIN:X15CrNiSi2012) plate (e.g. 5 mm thick) comparing to welding of low carbon steel .

Thanks in advance!

Janusz Tchorzewski

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Janusz,
There would be no difference if you used a pulsed MIG, like a Synchro-pulse 450, properly programmed for filler wire, and the appropiate gas mixture.
I believe Lincoln have a similiar machine as well. both machines quite expensive.
I hope this is of some assistance.
regards
stinkefete

The time difference should not be significantly different given the same thickness of material and operator skills. Stainless steel has good weldability and poses no problems during welding.

Have you tried TIG welding , this is a very clean weld. You could use a 1.6mm tungsten or a 2.6mm.. The 1.6mm is for thin plate , dairy tubing etc . The 2.6mm Is for anything from 1.6mmm plate,pipe etc. and up.. You can either purge with TIG so that the welding looks the same on both sides..

I want to weld stainless 420J2 (harden) with 430 but could not find the right process to avoid the corrosive resistance problem after welding. The heating at the welding line has reduced corrosive resistance. Any technique to deal with this problem. Thank in advance.

To Sinchai,
I trust you have checked that the 430 is passivated compared with the 420J2???
The base material (420) is oxidised next to the weld. This oxide layer impairs the corrosive resistivity and needs to be removed, either mechanically by grinding or by acid cleaning. There are some very good pickling pastes around for this purpose, try contacting your supplier of welding material.

Best of luck
John Laustsen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back