Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stair Landing Beam Connection to CMU shaft walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiSEiwish

Structural
Mar 28, 2013
US
This is one of the more frustrating things I've encountered because it is never done right and the fix is not pretty.
Anyway in multi-family buildings the stair shafts can be masonry in many cases but the stairs are wood. With the typical stair layout there is a landing beam that picks up quite a bit of load and it then needs to get connected to the shaft wall. This is done easily with a simpson connector directly to the wall. HOWEVER, what I seem to encounter is that, when building the stairs, the contractors will just put a simpson hanger from the landing beam to a wood ledger thus the connection to the ledger may have enough capacity but the connection of the ledger to the masonry wall won't have nearly enough. Anyone else encounter that or have a good way of designing around a contractor doing whatever they want?
I even had a contractor say that they didn't think there was much load on it therefore they didn't want to do the fix I provided. #eyeroll.
I have cut details there showing how it's connected, put notes saying "DO NOT CONNECT BEAM TO LEDGER" but the framers seem to be on autopilot and just go. Then when I tell them they need to support the ledger with a piece of steel bolted to the wall everyone gets bent out of shape.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can't get enough additional capacity at the ledger with post-installed anchors between the ledger and the masonry, then I'd do exactly what you typically do with a piece of steel bolted to the wall.

Maybe this is the time to be less accommodating and tell them to rip it out and redo it using the plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back