Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stair Tread Bolting Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

astuartl

Petroleum
Dec 1, 2013
US
Hey all, I'm hoping you guys can help me with something.

We have numerous stair cases built with galvanized fisher & ludlow stair treads that have slotted holes in them.

ex4.gif

They're bolted to stringers on each end with 3/8" A307 structural bolts, but our installers haven't installed washers on the inside of the tread where the slot is. ASTM specification for structural joints states that on snug tightened joints, a washer shall be installed when a slotted hole occurs in the outer ply. I'm curious if the slot in the stair tread meets that criteria and requires a washer. The slot is perpindicular to any forces applied to the tread, the hole adjacent to the slot isn't slotted so the tread won't budge, and I can't find anything anywhere that says that stair treads are classified as structural connections or not.

Are we going to have to go back and fix all these or are they acceptable? Any insight would be appreciated, I've searched this forum thoroughly and haven't really found much that helps.

thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Stairs are not classified as structural steel. See AISC Code of Standard Practice section 2.2.

There is ample precedent in the history of science for the overwhelming bulk of the scientific community strongly believing in imaginary entities postulated by a favovered theory. -Michael Behe

astuartl...Agree with Bagman2524 on structural definition. Also, you might want to check the Metal Stair Manual from NAAMM. I believe it is available online for no charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back