Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stamped weldment assembly vs Stamped weldment part

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsawye2

Automotive
May 21, 2003
US
where i work there was recently some discussion as to what is the better/preferred method of creating a stamped weldment. our two methods discussed are:

1) create each individual component of a weldment as separate .CATParts and bring them together in a .CATProduct.

2) create each individual component of a weldment as Bodies inside a single .CATPart

i personnally follow method (1) and would appreciate any discussion for or against either method. is either method better or worse practise than the other and why?

thanks in advance my CATPeople

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

what i mean by a stamped weldment is a group of stamped components that are brought together in a jig and welded together. that weldment is what we buy from our supplier. we don't buy all the individual pieces separately.

We build plastic injection molds, compression tools, layup mandrels and some various other assemblies. We have the templates broken down to 1 CATPart for each BOM item. In you case because the jig is a single BOM Item I would use 1 CATpart with multiple bodies. However, I would assign metal properties to each item if you are concerned with weight or center of gravity calculations.

Regards,
Derek

Win XP64
R20/21, 3DVIA Composer 2012, ST R20
Dell T7400 16GB Ram
Quadro FX 4800 - 1.5GB

I've worked with those two methods and it all depends how your development process looks like where you, work which I would choose. But there is a third method that I like best if you have the means, PDM being one of them, the multi-bom approach... where you in the e-bom have an product with two catparts which in the m-bom are replaced with a catpart with linked bodies from the catparts, the e-bom product and the m-bom part have the same part number (not to confused with unique id)

Either way... most important regardless which method you choose is to have a structured work flow that everybody abides to

If I understand well, you are producing the design of the weldements and then you are subcontracting the construction of them.
If this the case what I use is the "Skeleton-DressUp" method ie

-Skeleton: This is the Functional Design Phase. With the aid of [Generative Shape Design] workbench I create one (or more, depending on the complexity of the structure) functional model.

-Then I insert the functional part(s) into a CATProduct as support for the creation of the physical components.

-DressUp: This is the Functional to Physical Design phase.In the CATProduct and with the aid of [Structure Design] workbench I easily create the relevant physical components

-In the next and last phase, Detail Design phase, details are added to the physical model.

I hope it helps

-GEL

I know this thread is old and you may have already made your choice, but....

You should be creating single CATParts for each stamping. Use sub-assemblies to build up to your top level assembly. Depending on the complexity of your assembly, will depend on how many sub-assemblies you have...

You'll need to create 2D detail part prints at some point and having one large mass of part bodies makes it very difficult to do this.

If you never plan on building your structure, or sending the data to tool houses, you can build the Catia files however you want... If you plan on building your design and cutting tools to your math data, then you must use single Catia parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back