Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Stamping Someone Else's Drawings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfpe

Electrical
Jul 18, 2007
US
I am in a situation where I am being asked to stamp a drawing set done by another engineer. The drawings are for a large grid tied solar electric system and the utility wants the drawings stamped before they will allow interconnection. The system is already installed and the firm that did the initial design is no longer involved. The electrical contractor is the one seeking a stamp.

My inclination is not to stamp the drawing because I have too many questions that no one has the answer to. The solar modules were custom built and no one has the exact specs. There is a relay no one knows can tell me about. I have 6-7 questions more I can't get answered.

As I understand it, if I stamp a drawing, I am accepting responsibility for everything on the drawing. Would I be completely crazy to stamp a design that isn't mine and that I don't even have enough information to replicate?

Thanks,
John

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your understanding is correct. You would be crazy.

Also, be aware that most states have laws prohibiting the activity you describe. So, you could also lose your license or have it suspended.

You should first check to see if your state permits you to review & stamp someone else's work. Some do & some don't. The states that do allow it expect the stamper to do a thorough review. Some even say in their regulations that the review should take as much time as the original design took.

But if I was you, I would give a call to the original engineer. If they walked away from the job (or so the contractor says), there must have been a good reason for it.

Without a complete and thorough review and understanding EXACTLY for which you are NOW accepting responsibility - I would not do it.

As stated - some states have very strict rules about this and yes you might be crazy....

To bless an already constructed PV system that was designed by someone else, they really need a priest not a professional engineer. I suggest knocking the keys out of an old calculator, stuffing it with burning incense and swinging it around the drawings while chanting OHM (pun intended).

Seriously, retroactively PE stamping someone else's engineering drawings would likely violate proper responsible charge requirements. At best, you could offer to review the design and construction and write a letter stating your professional opinion of it, but that is probably not worth the fee garnered given the liability incurred.

Why didn't the original engineer stamp his/her drawings?

Have you been asked to "stamp" the drawings, or have your been asked to perform a full review and become the EOR pending a satisfactory review?

Do you have a contract with the contractor? If no, what is your relationship?

If all of your questions could be answered to your satisfaction, would you be willing to become the EOR?

At this point, I would write a report with the findings of your review and give that to the contractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back