Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard fabricated pipe length 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SIAUPA

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2003
CA
Could someone confirm that 60 foot length is a common fabricated length these days for 24" dia CS welded pipe.

If YES, any manufacturer name available?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes it is a triple random length.

How much do you want? I would not be convinced that this length would be held by a stockist, but a mill would probably make several kilometres for you.

It would also help if you gave us an idea where in the world you are, and what type of CS pipe you are looking for API 5L, A53 or just spiral welded.

60 foot length is not a "common fabricated length" in the USA.

Most plastic and metal pipes come in either 10', 18' or 20' sections.

I suppose you could special order any length though.

We commonly buy steel pipe (ASTM A53 Grade B) in 20' ("random") or 40' ("double random") lengths. The "random" means there is some permissible variation in those lengths. I've not seen pipe sold in 60' lengths, but can't say it's not out there. Structural steel is generally available in 60' lengths.

Thank you all for your input.

I am in Montreal, Canada and the pipe we are looking for is 24" CS STD.Wt. pipe / A106 B, is a steam line to be run on over 3.5 Km..

Have a nice week-end everyone,

The resom most pipes come in 20 and 40 foot lengths is it fits on a standard trailer. 60 footers is a oversize load. If the cost of the oversize transportation is less than the cost of the two field welds, I'd go for it.
If you are real close to a railyard, it may be even cheaper to get the longest pipe that can be put on railcars. Then local trucking to job site. I think you can get 80 footers on rail.

It is common in line pipe, like dicksewerat said, usually unloaded from rail cars. And easily trucked over the road with a permit.

JTMcC.

If you're buying enough line pipe (unfortnately, 3.5km isn't enough) the steel mill will give you whatever lengths you want- I bought linepipe in 15m (50ft) lengths from Mannesmann once, as that was the maximum length we could get on the local roads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back