Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard Metal Shapes and Sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddeck

Mechanical
Jul 4, 2005
CA
I need to get some reference material on material sizes and shapes like:

-sheet metal gauges
-standard square, rectangle and round tubing sizes
-angle iron and I-beams sizes
etc.

I need to know whats available so I can use standard off the self material.

Also, if anyone knows where I could get a material reference guide, with metal, plastics, ceramics etc. thats has approproate info like strength, wear and corrision.

Free material would be better, but not manditory.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ryerson used to give away a "stock list" with all of that and more, and a separate "engineering guide" with more esoteric technical info. I guess the demand was too great; last time I called, they wanted ten bucks for the stock list.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

There really isn't any standard, unless you specify an exact requirement that the mill has to satisfy. Try getting with your Purchasing Dept, and find out who you purchase these items from. Many mills are more than happy to supply you with their own lists of available materials and tolerances.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

You can get the structural hot-rolled steel shapes from the AISC Manual of Steel Construction. Sheet metal gauges you can find online with google. For cold-formed steel members (matel studs) look up the SSMA ICBO ER-4943P.

The best choice is to get your purchasing department to have their approved vendors send in their stock list. Ryerson's has been my vendor whose stock list I have used. Be aware that all locations do not stock all of the sizes but throughout Ryerson the material should be available. If you are using some other steel distributor you will either have to get a copy of their stock list or call them when you design using an unusual size material.

You should also not only know the sizes available but also your company's standard sizes. If plate or sheet is normally 48"x120" don't release a part which won't fit the standard sheet unless it is absolutely necessary. Barstock length can also be an issue.

Your purchasing department's approved vendor's stock list is your best (local) source. Machinery's Handbook is most everyone's default standard for the items you've requested plus is a wealth of other information (if I could only have one reference it would be this one).

Ryerson is my local distributer and sadly my copy of their stock list 'evolved' (grew legs and walked away). Access to most of the same info is on their web site:
Just because something is listed in a "standard" stock list or material guide doesn't mean you can (A) get it without a special order or (B) be able to process something that size/shape. Always check with your manufacturing group and/or outside suppliers before doing anything "unusual" by your company's standards.

For rolled structural steel bars, plates, shapes, and sheet piling, refer to SA-6 of ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code Section II Part A.

Thanks for all the tips.

Another one I need is drill bit sizes and tap sizes, clearance sizes. Similar to the posters in a machine shop.

I've googled it but I'm not sure it the sources I'm getting are the right ones. Anybody have a more 'official' or trusted chart?

Maui said:
Use Machinery's Handbook...

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back