Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Standard of Care, Non-P.E. Employer, & Liability 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzflieger

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2009
US
I am employed by a company that designs and manufactures very specialized automated equipment used in the nuclear radiation research arena. I have worked with the company for several years and just this past year, obtained my P.E. license. All of the design engineers with the company (including my supervisor, the "Engineering Manager") are not P.E.'s but due to the industrial exemption, they maintain the title engineer. I as a staff engineer, am the only registered P.E.

My primary job responsibility involves designing systems that, unlike bridges, roads, HVAC systems, etc., do not require the stamp of a registered P.E. Consequently, I do not stamp my designs and have not been asked to do so…yet.

I understand that I have a legal and ethical obligation to provide notice of my status as a P.E. to those with whom I do business. Thus far, I have attempted to meet this obligation by adding the "P.E." designation to my business card and displaying a P.E. wall certificate.

My first question is this: what obligation, if any, do I have to provide notice that I am a P.E. on my design drawings? These drawings are primarily for our in-house manufacturing department's use. Occasionally, though I create drawings that are sent to our customers detailing room layouts of our equipment. Am I obligated to stamp any of these?

My second question is this: As a P.E. employed by a automated equipment design/build company and currently supervised by a non-P.E. are there any special considerations that I bear in mind related to liability, insurance and professional practice in general? I am considering asking my employer to enter into a defend, indemnify, hold-harmless agreement with me. Does anyone out there done something like this with a non-P.E. boss/employer?

I am fully aware that as a licensed, professional engineer, I have a duty to meet a certain “standard of care which is “that level of care that would be exercised by any prudent professional engineer under such circumstances.” I also recognize that my supervisor who is not a P.E. but is a ”darn good” engineer whom I have learned much from over the past couple of years has a standard of care that must be met, whether he is consciously aware of it or not. What I am trying to get a better handle on is the degree to which my standard of care differs from his, if at all, and if there is a difference, what sort of agreements should be in place to protect myself in the event of a law suit. Also, given my status as a “professional” would such an agreement hold up in court?

Under the legal doctrine of “respondeat superior” the employer is generally responsible and liable for the actions of employees performed within the course of their employment. All of my design work is generally approved by my supervisor, but my name is listed as the designer. As such, I am simply an “agent” of my employer. However, even though I am not stamping my work, my name is on the line due to my being licensed by the state and given the fact that I signed a statement agreeing to maintain the highest ethical and technical standards in keeping with the practice of professional engineer.

Any thoughts….?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Doesn't "that level of care that would be exercised by any prudent professional engineer under such circumstances" cover that? Seems to say that you provide the same level of care as that provided by the exempt engineers doing the same work.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Common sense tells me that, yes, the same level of should be taken by both the licensed and non-licensed engineer if given the same project. Neither of us want the beam to collapse or the bolt to fail, so we are both going to use our engineering training and skills to design something that is going to not fail...

My question really is more related to narrower question of whether there are any "legal" distinctions that could be made arising from the fact that one is a state licensed professional and the other insn't. In other words, does the legal distinction made between licensed and non-licensed "engineers" necessarily result in the existence of different "reasonable standard of care" such that a licensed engineer while under the employment of a non-licensed engineer has a higher level of liability exposure than were he working for a licensed engineer doing the same type of work? If the answer is "yes", is there an agreement that I should enter into with my employer that will help to mitigate this elevated level of liability exposure I experience right now?

I anxiously await Ron's response in this thread. He seems on his game regarding questions like this more than most people I've met.

As I understand it, which isn't particularly well in your case, the person liable is the person in "responsible charge" of the design. Typically in civil that's El-Stampareno. My guess is that without stamping something you're no more in "responsible charge" of the documents than anyone else in your company. But I don't really know because you're in that "Non-Civil-Engineer/Who-Cares-About-PEs" world, in which I have little experience. If I were in charge of the universe, I'd force your boss to get his PE and highly recommend your company pay for professional liability insurance.

My first stab at advice is to either A) draw up a contract that explicitly names your boss as the person in responsible charge of the documents, or B) tell your company to name you on their professional liability policy, presuming they have one. And if they don't, tell them to get one.

Better advice, though, is wait for Ron to chime in. Love that guy.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

My two cents worth (might be inflationary) is that if the drawings do not need to be stamped, then do not stamp them. The industrial exemption also applies to P.E.'s. I work in a construction related business. I am a P.E.. I produce many drawings for various construction projects which do not need to be stamped, and indeed are not stamped.

If you do not stamp a drawing then there is no "professional" liability, just the normal engineering type of liability.

I originally got my P.E. while working at an industrial exempt job. I got it for the distinction of having a P.E. and possibly furthering my career.

beej67...not sure I can live up to your billing! Kind words, indeed. Thank you.

benzflieger...you seem to have an excellent understanding of professional responsibility and a good handle on the industrial exemption. One thing to keep in mind is that when you become a licensed engineer, your responsibilities generally change from being contractually driven to being driven by statute. Your licensed engineer status becomes your lightning rod that others in your company do not have.

As an example....your company builds something that fails. Two engineers, you and an unlicensed engineer, shared all the design responsibilities. The lawyers find this out and sue the company. They name you and the other engineer as co-defendants. He has no statutory obligation to anyone. You do. Without regard to whether your signed or sealed anything, you practiced engineering. Now you have a statutory obligation that the other engineer does not have. The lawyers see that they have no leverage against him (and won't pursue him), but they know they have leverage against you and will use it to their advantage. Will it hold up in court? Who knows, but you have to defend it without regard to its ultimate validity. Could your attorney argue that you were practicing under an industry exemption...of course...would it work...maybe, maybe not....but more importantly, who wants to find out?

Since you are licensed and the others are not, I would certainly ask the company for an indemnification of your practice. This might cause some difficulty for you, but if they plan to market your license status or use it in any way, they should do that for you. You should also be a named insured on their insurance policies.

Lastly, you might consider putting a disclaimer on all drawings, something to the effect of: This design was produced for the manufacturing purposes of this company and does not constitute the statutory practice of engineering for the public in this or any other state.

This is just a "layman's" perspective on the wording...you might want to run that by your company's lawyers.

Thank you guys for all the comments. I appreciate the thoughtful responses.

I do think I am going to ask for a hold-harmless agreement at a minimum. I may ask to be named on the company liability insurance policy but may have a harder time getting this one done.

Next week, we have performance reviews and so I wanted to discuss these issues with my supervisor and the company owner then. However, just to get a feel for what the response might be during the actual review I mentioned my concerns to my supervisor, the engineering manager late last night. Fairly quickly, he seemed to see things from my point of view and thought that the owner would likely be receptive to the idea of drawing up an indemnify, hold-harmless agreement.

I'll have to wait until the review to know for sure, but at this point feel pretty good about bringing it up with the big boss. I'll report back...

Thanks again.

For the first time ever, I have to disagree with Ron. When I got my PE I was working for a major Oil & Gas company. I sat down with the company attorney and asked all of the exempt/non-exempt questions that benzflieger is asking. His advice was:
1. NEVER stamp/seal anything that you do as an employee of a producing (as opposed to consulting) company.
2. If a question comes up, see number 1.
3. If I ignored his advice, and stamped something that I did for the company then the company was prevented by law from representing me if I was sued. They were also prevented by law from paying any settlement (to the point that if I was sued, and lost they couldn't even pay me any bonuses that I might normally have gotten for several years to make sure that it didn't "look like" they were paying my settlement).
4. If I kept my stamp to myself, then even if I was de facto in responsible charge of a project, the company could represent me, could pay any legal fees, fines, settlements, etc.
5. The company would not under any circumstances give me a new employment contract with hold harmless or indemnity language because that would be against the law.

In short, you are only "holding yourself out to the public" as an engineer if you are in responsible charge and stamp/seal documents and drawings. If you do that, then the company (and any industrial exemption) cannot protect you. If you ever go out on your own, then get insurance and stamp with abandon. Until then keep you stamp an a safety deposit box.

And always, follow the advice in my signature.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

"It is always a poor idea to ask your Bridge Club for medical advice or a collection of geek engineers for legal advice"

I got my PE while working as an in-house project engineer, constructing transportation facilities. The company did not allow me to put PE on my business card nor to stamp drawings.

Their insurance did not cover any actions I might take as a PE.

Not totally analogous to your situation, I realize, but similar enough that the question needs to be asked about insurance coverage for errors & omissions.

David,
We're not as far apart as you think! Your advice, as always, is excellent. It comes from direct, relevant experience which is always better. Now the slight disagreement....a licensed engineer cannot disavow either his license or knowledge of the law under which he is licensed. For that reason alone, an attorney will try to suck him into the fray because he is licensed. I doubt they would be successful as I'm sure he could always support the exempt position; however, just being invited to the party is a pain in the a$$ and costs money...that's the reason I would want some indemnification or some written assurance that the company would defend me, licensed or not.

I agree wholeheartedly with your signature advice, but geez...we sure do like to bat these things around in here!

Ron

Ron,
All engineers have an obligation to public safety. No exception, and the 8 hours in a PE test doesn't change that. What it does change is you ability to "stand alone". With a PE, my signature and stamp establish a clear line of responsibility from the project to me, and the company I'm working for cannot support me in the defense of that line of responsibility (which is why someone better have insurance before the stamp something). On the other hand, if I have a PE and even if I am in responsible charge of a project if I don't stamp it, the line of responsibility goes from the project to the COMPANY and if someone sees I'm a PE and names me explicitly in a suit, if I didn't stamp anything then the company has the legal right and obligation to defend the suit naming me. If I stamped something then the company is banned from defending me. Difference seems subtle, but it is $20k/year worth of insurance for my business.

David

David,
I agree...it's just that the company can also say "screw you"....you're named separately so it's your ticket...that's what needs to be prevented in writing...nothing more, nothing less.

Ron

Good point Ron, but I really don't know how to put that language into an employment contract ("Company agrees to defend employee against all claims arrising out of employee's work for Company", no company would sign that and I'm not sure it would stand up).

David

That's where the wordsmithing lawyers come in...something like: "Since employee's design activities inure to the benefit of the company, the company agrees to indemnify, save harmless, and defend employee against claims arising out of employee's design activities undertaken on behalf of the company"...and you're right...the company might not sign that.

In lieu of getting the company to sign something like that, couldn't Ben just get them to add him to their professional liability policy?

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

If he worked for an engineering firm, that would probably be the best answer for all concerned. Since he works for a producer, their liability insurance is probably very weak on Professional Liability language. I know that was true where I worked.

David

Excellent points by zdas04 and Ron.

At most companies that I've been at, "employees" of a company do not stamp. I do not stamp, even though I have a stamp. Once the package/drawings are done, reviewed, signed off, etc, we go to designated "stamper" and "permit holder" for them to stamp with their P Eng and Permit to Practice stamps and sign.

I have not heard of a company putting regular employees on their insurance - that is usually reserved for officers and permit/stamp holders for the company.

On the earlier point of how to identify yourself as a professional engineer, usuall a PE or P. Eng after your name will suffice.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Sometimes, companies like to trot out a few PEs in their resume section for proposals. We have an engineer who was encouraged by the company to get a PE, but also has never exercised it. However, it does go into his resume for the "Key Personnel" section of the proposals.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

see below quoted from this states rules, unless the board / state has an exemption, it seems to require stamping everything if you are registered, regardless of what your attorney may be telling you. you might get around this by calling everything a "shop drawing". Possibly everything you do might be considered "work product for your team". Might be worth talking to the board...

R4-30-304. Use of Seals
A. A registrant shall place a permanently legible imprint of the registrant's seal and signature on the following:
1. Each sheet of drawings or maps;
2. Each of the master sheets when reproduced into a single set of finished drawings or maps;
3. Either the cover, title, index, or table of contents page, first sheet of each set of project specifications;
4. Either the cover, index page, or first sheet of each addenda or change order to specifications;
5. Either the cover, index page, or first sheet of bound details when prepared to supplement project drawings or maps;
6. Either the cover, title, index, or table of contents page, or first sheet of any report, specification, or other professional document prepared by a registrant or the registrant's bona fide employee;
7. The signature line of any letter or other professional document prepared by a registrant, or the registrant's bona fide employee; and
8. Shop drawings that require professional services or work as described in the Act. Examples of shop drawings that do not require a seal include drawings that show only:
a. Sizing and dimensioning information for fabrication purposes;
b. Construction techniques or sequences;
c. Components with previous approvals or designed by the registrant of record; or
d. Modifications to existing installations that do not affect the original design parameters and do not require additional computations.
D. A registrant shall sign, date, and seal a professional document:
1. Before the document is submitted to a client, contractor, any regulatory or review body, or any other person, unless the document is marked "preliminary," "draft," or "not for construction" except when the document is work product intended for use by other members of a design team; and
2. In all cases, if the document is prepared for the purpose of dispute resolution, litigation, arbitration, or mediation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back