Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Standard/Specification for Mechanical Nameplates with Insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanVG

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2022
US
Hello all! I'm wondering if anyone has knowledge or has created a specification that's related to nameplates on equipment that is supposed to be insulated. Haha, I have been frustrated in trying to get old equipment information off of anything connected into our chilled water system, and I'm seeing if anyone has a solution to ensure that the nameplate data (usually stamped on a little metal tab or stamped onto the piece of equipment itself) remains visually available. Ideally we'd have a database storing this information, but we are still a long ways off from that kind of asset management style.

I'm looking for anything that will stand the test of time (e.g. 50-70 years), as any piece of equipment on campus, usually ends up staying for a very long time. I'm suspicious of using pieces of plastic and glue (as is done for the labels), as I've seen a number of those fall off before after just a few years. I've no problem finding these old metal name-plates on anything to do with the hot water/tempered water systems on campus, as usually those pieces were not insulated.

I can provide more information if that assists anyone and thank you very much in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASME A13.1 is the only thing that pops up, but that's really for pipe.

I've seen company specs where they specify stainless steel ties and labels to be secured over the insulation, either curved to match the pipe or fixed using said stainless steel ties.

Traffolyte labels also tend to last the test of time.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back