Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Standpipe installation in chemical plant 's open structure

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgan.z

Civil/Environmental
Aug 3, 2018
CN
Regarding Required Installations for Standpipe,IFC 905.3.1 states Height. Class III standpipe systems shall be
installed throughout BUILDINGS where the floor level of the
highest story is located more than 30 feet....
My question is this 905.3.1 only applies to buildingS , am i right?
A open process structure in chemical plant often is very high, but they are not buildings, are not required to installed the standpipe CLASS III per as 905.3.1.
open process structure in chemical plant often is equiped with 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 standpipe and hose reel under company's standard for incipient fire . I learn that some open process structures of BASF's chemical pant in Louisiana is being installed with class I(with 2 1/2 hose valve)standpipe for fire trucks to hook up. i am just wondering if they are required by local fire code.
Does someone have some acknowlede of this. i really apreciate the reply. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. as you say may be corp policy

2. may be local requirement. I think LA has a state wide code. Not sure if locals can admend it. Start with the state fire marshal, and ask the question, than if not them, ask the local fire marshal/ fire dept.

3. would have to see how the fire code reads.

Some may consider it a building/ structure,, and would assign an H occupancy to it.

[A] BUILDING. Any structure utilized or intended for supporting or sheltering any occupancy.

Thanks for Cdafd's reply!
The term for building in NFPA seems including all structures. It really puzzle me, does that mean IBC will apply to open chemicals processing structures ? not sure the IFC 905.3.1 applies to all structures.
Open structures are exempt from NFPA 101 and NFPA 5000 requirements for capacity of means of egress, travel distance,
illumination, emergency lighting, marking of means of egress, protection of vertical openings, and detection and alarm systems, but not clear about standpipe!
Quote from Fire protection handbook: It is often difficult to determine whether the
occupancy should be classified as general, special-purpose, or high-hazard industrial.
Occupancies in open structures are commonly classified under special-purpose industrial as defined in NFPA 101 and NFPA 5000.
Normally not H occupancy , if H occupancy, sprinklers will be required too.
The Chevron Firewater standard calls for small bore 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 standpipe and hose reels for incipient fire for staff use, not for fire man.
It doesn't make sense going inside open structure to put out a fire for fire man while you can do it from outside.

Is the place first regulated by

IBC and IFC???

Or other codes

What is adopted?

Being Louisiana, I would say ibc/ ifc

morgan.z:

If you look at IFC 905.1 General, the language states that "Standpipe systems shall be provided in new buildings and structures in accordance with this section." The plants you're working on aren't buildings, as defined by the building code, but, they definitely are structures. As cdafd mentioned I'd talk to local fire official for confirmation on system type and requirements. Also refer to NFPA 14 for additional information.

Regards,
DB

NB: The citation I quoted is from IFC 2012 - check that the code in force in the project's jurisdiction hasn't changed.

Thanks DBronson!
From the context, IFC 905.3.1 should apply only to buildings, not structue. The chemical processing units are mostly open ,multi-story steel platform structure .
Seems that IBC and IFC do not require a standpipe for such open structure ,except open garage . NFPA 1 is phrasing this a little diffrently.they should be in line.Anyway the AHJ may have extra demand for such open structures and be consulted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back