Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Start Capacitors Increasing Their Capacitance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrye

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2015
US
I have two centrifugal 3HP single phase submersible sewage pumps, which use 2 start caps (rated 72-86µF) wired in parallel and 2 run caps (55µF) wired in series to operate. These pumps have been failing out due to overtemp during high flow conditions, so "continuous" running. I believe I need to choke the supply voltage down; the mfr says that when continuously running the voltage variation should be ±5% of 230VAC, line to line the supply is 251VAC which is greater than +5%.

That said, there is still another mystery to me with the start caps, as I said before they are labeled 72-86µF, but when metered with a multi-meter set for capacitance they all read ~130µF, this is with all the wiring removed, there is only a discharge resistor(which is soldered on) attached to the start cap terminals. I personally installed the new capacitor kits a month or two ago, and checked everything which at the time was nameplate normal. So has anyone ever seen the capacitance of a capacitor change and not explode?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The resistor is probably skewing the measurement because test current will pass through it in addition to the expected path through the capacitance.

Spot on, ScottyUK!

If the OP wanted to confirm the resistor was causing the problem, is there a way [other than removing one of the soldered leads] that could be used to measure the phase angle of the applied current through first the resistor then the cap indivually so the capacitance value could be calculated? [I don't get to much testing in my job...]

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

This was confirmed using a new capacitor same nameplate and a removable resistor. Rated at 72-86µF with no resistor read 78µF, with resistor read 135µF.

So I am guessing the multi-meter takes its reading based on the RC time constant, so by adding impedance it changes the "capacitance".

Thanks all.

I think most types charge the cap for a defined period of time using a known constant current, then calculate capacitance based on the change in voltage at the end of the defined period.

charge = current * time
capacitance = charge / voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back