Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start Parts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKIDIOT

Mechanical
Oct 13, 2004
US
Does anyone know where I can get a good tutorial on setting up start parts, drawing formats, config.pro file changes, any formatting (line weight, line type, text format, etc.)?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UKIDIOT,

I would first start with the resources on this website. I found a helpful website synthesis engineering. Eldon the owner of Synthesis helped me out on a part. His website is full of helpful tips and links to other peoples sites. Best of luck

Best Regards,

Heckler

"Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups" John Kenneth Galbraith

I too have a question for setting up start parts... (ver. 2001)

I've created a start part for our company (since I'm the only one with experience in Pro/E I'm in charge of everything). At my old place of employment, when we created a new model, we were prompted to put in the new file name and enter the parameters of the model (revision date, modeled by, part number, material, etc.).

I'd like to set up the same thing, but I'm having problems (especially with the beginning part of when the file is renamed).

I've set up the map key so that it opens our start_part.prt file and to prevent someone from overwriting the start_part.prt file, I'd like to be able to prompt the user to rename the file. But, I'm not having any luck with this. The map key doesn't pause for the user to enter the new file name (it uses the file name that I type in when recording the map key). Ultimately, I'd like for the user to be able to enter their own file name when the part is getting renamed. Everything else works as I would like it (I recorded up the mapkey to modify each parameter in the list of parameters).

UKIDIOT,

For your macro change it to create a new part and uncheck the Use Default model box if it still exists as in 2001. Then you can paste the full path to the start part to be the model to use as your start part.

If you want to get them to be able to add a file name insert a pause or use prompt for text option in your macro so it will ask the user to enter the file name.

The easiest way to do this would be to replace the default Pro/E start parts inlb_default.prt or whatever it's called, with your start part.

The default start part name will be the one shown checked off when you hit browse. This way whenever a new part is created your company default start part will be used if use default option is checked.

Michael
[atom]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back