Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Start Parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorsportsdesign

Automotive
Jul 23, 2003
US
Is anyone using Start Parts? If so, could you explain the concept you use? I am hearing some people calling a "Template Part" a "Start Part" and others say a "Start Part" is part of a structure used in modeling parts with geometry linking.

Jonathan T. Schmidt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well if I understand what your asking here, it sounds like you are asking about what are commonly refered to as templates.

I don't know how other people do it but it can be approached in many different ways with many different things included.

When I begin a new CAM file from an existing model. I use a template file that brings into the new file all of my standard tools that reside in my carousel on my machine. I also have several defined tool paths that have been proven to work efficiently with speeds, feeds, DOC, they also are imported.

I am sure other people template many other things but nearly anything you want is availabe to be made and used as a template.

HTH

We use seed parts as start parts. Same idea as templates. The initial datums are set up as are the initial layer catagories. We also use them for our drawing files, with all title block attributes set up.

Is there anyway to have a template list to pick from showup when you select the "New" file icon instead of it using some defaults?

Jason

Create your start parts and put them in a read-only folder. Then use File-Open and retrieve the proper start part and do a save-as to your new part number. You can automate this with GRIP or UG/Open API.
The way I did ours with GRIP was to use the File-Create UserExit and run a custom program that would tkae the UG defaults and add our company specific things like attributes to the new file.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back