Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Starting a single member engineering firm

JDEngConsulting

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2024
Hello!

Completely new here, and I was hoping someone with experience in engineering consulting could give me some direction. I recently got my engineering firm setup with E&O insurance with general liability. I am currently at the stage where I need to work my network - extend to find potential architects or GCs to work offering HVAC and Plumbing design for light commercial and multifamily projects. This work would be done on the side outside of my day job where I work as a resident engineer for a construction company that does industrial level work.

I am struggling to find what services I can offer outside of just system design for permit drawings. I have heard of other engineering hiring another PE to review drawings, but I have never seen this myself. Are there other services that your firm can get paid to provide even if it isn't a stamped set of drawings? I am thinking if a company needs help in the drafting department or shop drawings. Can you offer consulting for mechanical systems where you offer advice on how to solve their problem that doesn't involve stamped drawings? If I need to add more specifics let me know.

I appreciate anyone input and advice they can provide. This is all new for (the starting my own business, finding clients, etc)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, check with your main employer what they allow.

How someone hires you and for what work is between them and you. Obviously someone will be liable and responsible for the work. Are you implying you have a license and would stamp their design, or you want to design and them to stamp? Sorry, that wasn't' totally clear from your OP. just want to make sure you are aware, rubbers-tamping isn't' legal. if you are the one with the license, you are the one who can lose it when doing that.

I apologize. I am licensed and would be doing the designing and stamping of any permit drawings.
So you would literally supervise or self-perform those designs? if not, it would be rubber-stamping.

I find it hard to believe you can actually supervise someone else's employees if you are just hired as a sub-consultant. So you really would have to perform the design yourself.

You also should talk to your insurance what exactly they cover in case you are supervising. Are you buying/renting your own software, or do you expect the company that hires your company to provide that?

There is a LOT of fixed cost designing. Doing it part time still has almost the same fixed cost (i.e. software license). Hard to make it worthwhile.

You could become an hourly W2 employee of the company that hires you. No benefits, but high hourly rate and they have to cover insurance, software etc. but that only works if you only work for one company on the side.

Yes, I would be working as an engineering firm doing HVAC and plumbing design. The types of projects I was thinking of targeting would be small projects that need permit drawings.

Can I be subcontracted to just do CAD work from a firm tight on personnel?

Back