Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Starting an electrical engineering-related company

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineeringgraduate

Electrical
Sep 28, 2006
US
I am a new electrical engineer, and I would like to start my own business related to one of my two specialty areas: computer engineering and power. I had thought about designing printed circuit boards, but I am not sure if this would be a good idea. I'm a little clueless when it comes to business. Is there any kind of business I can start from home that relates to my specialty?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Engrgrad,

If you are going to offer engineering services as a sole proprietor, you must be a licensed engineer in your state.

Since you are interested in power, I suggest that you work for an engineering consulting firm that provides electrical services in the way of electrical plans for construction. This will give you a chance to work under a PE and gain the work related experience you will need to be eligible to take the PE test. Once you get your license, then you can branch off and offer services to the public as a sole proprietor engineer.

Hope this helps.

You'll definitely need a PE, to cope with all the members of the public who wander into your office and ask you to design a power distribution system or a new printed circuit board for their own personal use.

I am plagued with that problem. I just have to turn them away, weeping, into the street.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

engineeringgraduate,

If all you needed for a successful business is an EE degree, you can imagine the amount of competition you'd be dealing with.

You need to find a job that you find interesting, and perhaps you can turn those skills into a business venture. Working at a consulting firm is one way to gain experience quickly.

-b

greg said:
I am plagued with that problem. I just have to turn them away, weeping, into the street.
I shake my hea at this every day! But hey... maybe a PERSONAL COMPUTER is a Public service??????

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

engineeringgraduate,

Just a thought. Who would you sell your "circuit boards" to?

No offense, but if I was a regular retail consumer, I probably wouldn't know a circuit board from ironing board - so, I'd go to Best Buy and buy a compture there. Amd. if I were a company, I probably wouldn't know you, and more importantly, wouldn't trust you do design anything for me - so, I'd go to HP/Compaq and buy a server there.

Those members of the population that are not either of the two groups above, would that provide a sufficient customer base for your home business? Not sure.

If I were you, I would probably start with the question of "what does the market need that I can sucessfully sell", and go from there.

Starting your own business is an exciting road. Good luck.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I don't think the OP was suggesting he create computer motherboards, he merely mentioned PC boards (as in Printed Circuit Boards, PCBs, etc.)

eg, as a new grad, you have maybe 1% of the knowledge/experience necessary to create PCBs of any real complexity... differential high-speed lines, termination networks, high voltage/current, low-noise analog, production processes, etc., these are all things you need to learn before being able to offer more than basic boards for 10MHz microprocessors in a highschool robotics kit. Experience is definitely your friend.

As others have noted, the main question still remains why would anyone go to you for a project when you won't even be able to "talk the talk", not to mention "walk the walk" when the time comes? Unles you have a specific product in mind, starting a business fresh out of school is financial suicide.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Just in case anyone was wondering - I was being cynical and sarcastic. In my experience very few members of the public wander in off the street and ask for electrical power supplies, or circuit board design, or for that matter structural design. The most likely market is other engineering firms, therefore the PE is irrelevant.

However I do agree, I can see little likelihood of success in competing in an established engineering field straight from college. Some people make that work. Most don't.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

depending on the type of business in engineering you DONT NECESSARILY need a PE.

oNLY if you have to sign some documents as a consultant. Most of the time if you dont deal with the public dont worry about it.

" to be or not to be "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back