Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STARTING OF DIESEL ENGINE THRO' CONTROL PANEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

BADVE

Electrical
Nov 20, 2001
IN
PL GIVE SOME TIPS TO MAKE STARTING OF DIESEL ENGINE WHEN THE SAME IS TO BE USED IN UNMANNED STATION & IS REQUIRED TO START AT POWER FAILURE.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The engine must obviously be equipped for automatic start & run.
Usually, the start will be initiated by the loss of supply voltage from the normal source. Run-up of the genset will be automatic, at which point it can be connected to the load after the normal source is isolated, usually by operation of a circuit breaker.
Automatic transfer back to the normal supply also needs to be considered.
If the station is unmanned, there will probably be some provision for remote monitoring &/or alarm when the geneset is running.
I suggest that you get professional engineering help in setting up a system such as this, as there are a lot of factors involved.

A VARIETY OF ATS (AUTO TRANSFER SWITCH) ARE AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET WHICH BASICALLY IS A CHANGEOVER PANEL WITH SWITCHGEAR AND CONTROLGEAR. THE CONTROLGEAR MAINLY COSISTS OF WATCHDOGS LIKE UV/OV RELAYS, FREQUENCY RELAYS ETC. CONTINOUSLY MONITORING SUPPLY CONDITIONS AND TIMERS WHICH CONTROL THE INSTANT OF CHANGEOVER ( SMALL DURATION SAGS AND SURGES CAN BE BYPASSED).SINCE YOURS IS A UNMANNED STATION YOU NEED REMOTE MONITORING PANEL FOR SENSING D/G POWER, CRANKING BATTERY CONDITION,FUEL TANK LEVEL,ETC.

An Automatic Transfer Switch is the least expensive way to go. I assume this is one (1) Standby Generator application. You would need to add acessories such as battery charger and jacket water heaters to ensure 10 second starting. I design these systems for a power systems company and if you need direct help contact me at joneil@darrequipment.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back