starting salary 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triangled

Structural
Jun 30, 2013
US
Hi,
I have a small structural practice in California near to one of the California state colleges. Business looks like it may pick up some and I'm considering seeking a freshly minted no experience BS engineering degreed person on board. I could use the help and I know for sure that working at our office would be a great entrance into the field for someone. Can you give me any guidance for typical starting compensation packages these days.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why pay them? Just emphasize how you are helping them: Link

But more seriously, recent NYC starting salaries were around $60,000 - 67,000. Other (non big city) places were closer to the $50,000 to 56,000 range. Personally I would have thought the $50,000 was low, but the place offered a ~15% SEP salary match at the end of every year, which is much better than I am getting now! It really depends what area of CA you are in, I would recommend looking for the ASCE/ASME salary survey; it won't give you starting salaries, but it will give a you basis for your area based on others.

Also, you can't just look at base salary. Think of all of the other perks you will be offering. Will you pay for their asce membership? Will you pay for a PE review course? Will you be for graduate level course work? What about monthly professional group meetings? A cell phone?

Let's see, it's a one man shop. You want to hire someone who has no experience, basically never had a real job, fresh out of school. You're basically going to need to keep him/her busy and explain every step of everything you need done beyond the book learning he/she already has. It's an awesome task. Don't underestimate your lost productivity during that phase. And that's if you hire the right person.
Until you get a little additional manpower, you need to hire someone who can help you right away and you're not going to have to babysit. It will cost more, but you'll get help right away.

Median salary is ~62K in Fullerton, CA

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Hence: "your own economics and what the individual contributes to your organization"

Sadly the 13th amendment probably precludes your suggestion in the OP's location - unless they're on an H-1B visa or J-1 which sometimes encroach on indentured servitude territory.

I'd like to think I was a net liability for less than 2 years but former colleagues may disagree, and at least some of my useful work may not have been considered true 'Engineering' by some.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back