State space model of mass spring damper with base excitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC83

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2018
BE
Dear,

I want to make a state space model of a simple mass spring damper system with a base excitation as shown in the figure below.

The equation of motion is:
mx'' + bx' + kx = ky + by'

How can I write this in state space (A,B,C,D) format? I have difficulties with finding the B matrix.

y(t) = Y sin (Wt)

mass_spring_damper_o4jlna.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi IRstuff,

Thank you for the link.
This is almost what I'm looking for (slide 52). However, I'm struggling to write the harmonic forcing functions (2.63) in state-space format (B matrix). Analytical, they do a superposition of the two individual particular solutions. Have you an idea of how this done in state-space format?

Forcing functions are inputs that are external to the state space model. They don't go in the B matrix, but are in the u term, assuming xdot = Ax + Bu; y = Cx + Du.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Hi xnuke,

Thank you for your reply.
So my B matrix is: [0; 1/m]
And u is: bWY cos (Wt) + kY sin (Wt)
If xdot is: [x'; x'']

Right?

Steven

Steven, that looks correct for u and B based on your definition of the state vector.

xnuke
"Live and act within the limit of your knowledge and keep expanding it to the limit of your life." Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged.
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back