Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static accumulation of conductive fluid in non-conductive pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

yene

Chemical
Sep 17, 2019
CA
I am asking this on here because I cannot find a conclusive answer anywhere.

I have acetone flowing for ~100 feet from a glass-lined vessel to a steel grounded vessel. The pipe is 2" diameter and lined with polypropylene, thus making it non-conductive.

My understanding is that acetone, despite being a conductive liquid, will generate charge via "Streaming Current", and won't be able to dissipate it until it reaches the steel grounded vessel. How can I find out whether or not I need to implement bonding or grounding measures?

Initially I calculated the Streaming Current, I[sub]s[/sub], then squared it and multiplied by the resistance of acetone, R, (Length of pipe x Specific Resistance / Cross-sectional area), then divided by 2 to calculate power generated. (Extensions of Ohm's Law, I believe)

Then I multiplied by the time it took the acetone to flow through the whole pipe (i.e. t = d/v) to calculate the Energy generated. (Is this the correct time I should be using? Or is it the total time that there is acetone flowing through the line, i.e. if the pump continuously runs for an hour, does t = 3600s?)

Then I compared Energy generated to the MIE of acetone.

Does my method make sense? Or am I missing something? It makes sense to me, but electrical concepts like current/power/resistance/potential do not represent my area of expertise. Does anyone have any resources that can lead me to a conclusive answer? Even NFPA and a bunch of other resources I've looked at discuss the topic at length but give no conclusive answer to my particular question.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the reply. I just read through the thread and while it is informative, it doesn't quite answer my question from a quantitative perspective. I'm trying to determine whether I even need to take any measures to avoid a static ignition hazard. Additionally I am not sure to what extent some of the mentioned solutions (e.g. dip pipe) help prevent the problem. Especially for a plant that is already in the construction phase - I don't know how viable an option something like that would be.

I have those properties

Conductivity = 6000000 pS/m
Fluid velocity is 1 m/s through 1.75 inch pipe. Fluid temperature should be about room temp.

Another thing I should mention is that the acetone is mixed and agitated in a glass-lined tank for some time right before it gets sent through this pipe I'm referring to. Is there a way to quantify the max amount of energy generated via static accumulation from that procedure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back