Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

static Electric Discharge hazard (more ???)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddace

Mechanical
Sep 23, 2003
CA
This is a parallel question regarding the "static electric discharge hazard " thread

The thread is quite interesting and has provided me some good information on the subjet. I am curently desining the fuel system, including the day tank, for a mobile diesel genset (approx 100gal/400l).

I would like to know how these concerns are avoided in the transport industry ? I.E. Most fuel tanks on vehicules are filled from the top at high velocity with no dip pipe. Doe's all this matter have to do with the volume of the fuel tank and/or quantity of fuel transfered in a given period ?

My tank is well grounded to the trailer but filled from the top. Should I consider a dip pipe? The consumption of the engine (when running at full load) will require a transfert of approx 150 l. every 15 minutes. A tranfert pump will supplie it to the day tank from a bulk tank in about 1.5 min?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ddace,

Will your genset go offshore and have to meet Coast Guard requirements?

Most large portable Gensets are skid mounted. The skid is the fuel tank. In remote locations such as at an oilrig, the generator may have a grounding strap attached to a spike driven into the ground.

Also, when the GenSet fuel tank is being filled it is wise to ground the fuel tank truck and also bond the fuel tank truck to the GenSet. This completes the circuit for any static buildup, stray voltage, etc.

Please look at the references I listed in the other thread.

Todd

Oxilume

Thanks for your time. This unit remains on solid ground.
I have decided to go with the dip pipe because of the the risk for static but also because of the emultion(mousse) caused by fuel injection by the top. But i still would like to know how this is handeled in the auto/truck industry at the gaz station fuel pumps?

regards

Bonding wire within pump hose. Bonds car to gas pump via bonding wire. Gas pump is grounded.

The car should be grounded. This would be similar to anyone whom has ever refueled an aircraft. The very first thing you do is ground/bond the aircraft. Then you start refueling.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back