Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static General our Static Riks?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicolas R.

Structural
Aug 22, 2016
AU
Hi everyone,

Im modeling a reinforced concrete beam, I want to see the not linear behavior of the concrete submeted to traction and compression through the concrete damage plasticity. Into the step definition is necessary to use a Static Riks to see the degradation of the properties of the material through the Force vs Displacement graphic, our I can see it wiht a General static??

I grateful any tip,

Thanks and regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You only need Riks when the overall load-displacement curve might have a negative slope during the analysis and you run the analysis load controlled.

Hi Mustaine3,

Thanks to your response, so I can see the positive slope and the negative slope of the Force Vs Displacement both whit the Static General?? Ou is necessary to generate two types of steps, One General and one Riks??

Thanks.

A general static analysis will look for an equilibrium solution at an increased load and displacement (if the load decreases, the displacement should as well). It will not decrease the overall load to find an equilibrium solution at a larger displacement. However, a Rik's analysis will. This is useful in buckling problems to investigate phenomena like snap through.

Rik's is somewhat of an odd concept to wrap your head around as the load is part of the solution. I recommend reading through the manuals that accompany the software to help understand the difference between the analysis procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back