Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Static load calculation of a vibrating mass

Status
Not open for further replies.

precast123

Structural
Aug 10, 2015
BH
Hi everyone,

How to calculate equivalent static load due to vibrating mass.

To be specific, it is vibrating roller load.

Drum Load = 14.9 Ton

Frequency = 28 Hz (1680 vpm)

Amplitude = 0 - 2.5mm

Total load on soil considering vibration will be how much?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is that amplitude the level of soil vibration? If so, you have a means to figure the (dynamic) soil spring constant. With that, you should be able to figure the DLF (Dynamic Load Factor) pretty easy.

I think the "amplitude" in those things is the weight of the drum divided by eccentric moment. In other words: the eccentricity of the drum as it rolls about it's axis. Therefore your sinusoidal forcing equation will be:

F[sub]o[/sub]=m*e*ω[sup]2[/sup]

Where:

m=mass of your drum
e=eccentricity of the drum (0-2.5mm)
ω=circular frequency of rotation [for 28 Hz that would 175.9 rad/sec]

As far as the equivalent static load, it would be = the drum weight + (F[sub]o[/sub]*DLF)

Since you [I assume] don't have a spring constant for the soil (and you also cannot guarantee the time period it will be applied), it will be best to just use 2 as your DLF. Conceivably, it could be more than that (thinking of it as a transmissiblity problem)......but I have a hard time picturing the frequencies getting so close as to causing that.

EDIT: I kind of have to re-think my statement above (i.e. about the DLF/transmissiblity not exceeding a factor of 2). Running some rough numbers, I can see the possibility of the frequencies getting close depending on the site characteristics. However, I think damping would bail you out here to some degree. Again running some rough numbers I came out with a (minimal) damping ratio of about 15%. With that, the transmissiblity factor would be about 3.4

Centrifugal force generated is given here. Is it the total load(365 kN) the drum is transferring to the soil considering vibrations also?

I don't know. But that might let you calculate/verify the equivalent mass that is rotating. Since you have contact info for them......you may want to contact them and explain the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back