Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Statically Indeterminate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobd

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2002
US
Hello all, I've got a beam design issue that I'm fighting with. I'll state the general scenario, then get to my question:

I've got a horizontal wide flange beam hanging (bolted) to (2) horizontal sqaure tubes that are 48" on center. The beam extends beyond one connection and has a point load about 36" from that connection.

My question: To me this looks like a statically indeterminate beam, I'm no expert however which is why I'm aksing. I see (3) unknown reactions here which are:

Ma (furthest most connection from the point load)
Ra y (vertical reaction furthest conn. from the point load)
Rb y (vertical reaction nearest conn. to the point load)

Am I on the right track with this, or have I misunderstood the reactions?

Thank you for your assistance.
Jacob Dinardi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like a simple cantilever beam problem to me.

1) Sum your moments around Rbx (or Rby) to solve for Rby (or Rbx).
2) Now sum your vertical forces to get the other reaction.

If you dont know the value of the point load, at least you can get the percentages of the load at each reaction point.

Good Luck.......[worm]

Remember...
"If you don't use your head, your going to have to use your feet."

Hmm... I had thought there would be another reaction other than Ray and Rby which would be Ma.

From your post it seems like you indicate there is not, which does seem reasonable now that I've thought about it, there is nothing keeping the end from rotating, and there is no horizontal load, so I guess that just leaves Ray and Rby, which I can deal with.

Thanks for helping me see the light!

Jacob

Sounds to me that the bottom flange of your beam is unsupported laterally, and it is in compression. You may have a stability issue if you don't provide lateral support to your compression flange.[peace]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back