Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steam curtain 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigjag

Mechanical
Feb 21, 2007
DE
Hello all,

What is a steam curtain ? how does it work. is there any NFPA standard?

any one have some info abt this system.

we want to install a steam curtain system around the furnace to stop flammable gases travelling towards heater.

How does it functions? In case of fire how it will be activated?
what type of steam i need ? like pressure and temperature?
what are the main components of the system?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

where did you hear about it form???

How abouit a gas detector tied into your fire alarm system and possibly activating a valve to shut the gas off??

For these applications, what the steam curtain (as well as water curtains) are used for is to generate an air flow (wind). In case of no or low wind conditions this helps to disperge/dillute the flammable gas cloud so that it does not reach the ignition source (the heater).

Both steam and water curtains are discussed in "Loss Prevention in the Process Industries" by Frank P. Lees, complete with references. As far as I know NPFA standards do not contain information about water/steam curtains for gas dispersion.

They are not activated in case of fire but in case of flammable gas detection (or for other applications in case of toxic gas detection). The system consists of pipes, valves and orifices.

Interesting to see a link to my postings (as gvdlans) in the cheresources forum! The link to the BASF website doesn't work anymore though. It showed a picture of a steam curtain employed at the ethylene cracker heaters at the BASF plant in Port Arthur, Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back