Steam drum, Section I, how to stamp 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt1234

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2022
US
Dear all,
A Korean vendor arguing that steam drum shall be stamped with "S-PART", as it is part of the boiler, shall not be stamp with "S". I think this coming down to the definition of "what is part ?".
Steam drum, which can be either designed per Section VIII or Section I, in my opinion is a stand alone equipment, just like pressure vessels. Shall it not be stamped with "S" only ?
Whoever has purchased steam drum as a stand alone equipment, please shed some light, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is no "S-PART" marking, only "PRT I"
Are you referring to a "Steam drum" as can be seen in Figure PG-58.2-1?
If so, this is the "Boiler Proper", and it shall be stamped with "S" (or "M"/"E" - dependent on the geometry, heating, etc.)

Check with your Authorized Inspector but the Steam Drum is only a portion of the boiler proper so I would assume it would get an "ASME PRT" stamp on the nameplate and this would be documented on a P-4 Partial Data Report.

If you decided to build the Steam Drum per ASME Section VIII Division 1 (hypothetically speaking, I'm not even sure that this is allowed) then I agree that the nameplate wouldn't require the "PRT" stamping and it could be documented on a U-1 Manufacturer's Data Report.

-Christine

Christine74,

Only Unfired steam boilers can be constructed by VIII-1. Only electric boiler where the medium (water) is directly heated by the energy source (electrode type or electric immersion element type) is considered to be an unfired steam boiler and hence, may be constructed by VIII-1.

Boilers which are constructed to VIII-1 shall be stamped with the "U" Designator are letters "UB", and be documented with the AMSE U-1 or U-A Data Reports (SEE ASME I, PEB-3).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back