Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steam jet ejector 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I like TD2K's comments (as usual!).
Try Perry's chemical engineers handbook; there are some tables there. You may require two or more stages, for example, for a vacuum steam condenser evacuator. Detailed design is best done by supplier (of course, as they build them).. this becomes a specification and procurement task.

good luck

If you want to buy a steam ejector system, it's best to call some vendors and tell them what you need it to do. I used to be a steam jet ejector designer, so please trust me when I say leave it to the experts. Steam ejectors work on very basic principles, but the final design is based ENTIRELY on proprietary emphirical data.

You see, ejector designers don't sit at a desk and design them from scratch using a given set of equations out of a text book. Well, with the nozzle they might. But beyond that it's almost an art based on past experience with certain geometries and conditions, knowing how to scale a proven design this way and that, and then maybe testing it to see if you were right. Some of the more reputable manufacturers have a 100 years of data under their belt. Here's a little inside tip: more than likely the exact size jet needed to meet your conditions had already been designed, installed, and rusted away to dirt decades ago for another client by a designer who retired and died before you were even born.

They are very simple devices, but their designs are highly emphirical and best left for experienced professionals working for reputable firms.

Dear INBCPE
Thanks for your advice and sharing your experiences. Certainly it is right that you may finally depend on those people who have ample experience but I feel it may be better if you have knowledge of the critical parameters and system as a whole. Many times this system give real big problem and whole production comes to stand still due to lack of knowledge available or you keep on spending extra due to less knowledge of this simple system with out any moving part. Some info is still requested about the system designing.
Best Regards

Check Perry's handbook for chemical engineers (Marks handook for mechanical engineers may also have similar data)for charts of design data that you need (empirical data) ... or try the web. Really, its all there.

rka77,

Reading some of the references above is a good start, though. Also check out Chemical Engineering Magazine and Hydrocarbon Processing Magazine from 1994 & 1995. That was the last time I saw some really good articles in print. They were written by members of the Heat Exchange Institute's Steam Jet Ejector Committee. The authors were all working for the big firms at the time (Graham, S&K, C-R, Nash, etc). They were a fantastic series of articles, and the authors were a very knowledgeable group of people. I'm sure if you contacted HEI, they would have reprints on file.

If you get stuck with anything, or you want to get a quick lesson, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back