Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steam jet -- noise level

Status
Not open for further replies.

otaio

Electrical
May 26, 2002
GB
When steam under pressure discharges from a vent pipe it creates noise.

Is anyone aware of a way of calculating the likely noise level given the diameter of the pipe and pressure of dicharge?

Bob B:)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have a vague recollection of a friend & colleague who did work on Navy subs (quiet!, quiet!, QUIET!!!) showing me a book on noise and noise reduction by one of the eponymous founders of BBN - Mr. Bolt, Mr. Beranek or Mr. Newman. The book was concerned with noise reduction, but addressed sound pressure and power levels and scaling relationships for similar phenomena.

Now, after starting this post I have briefly searched thru Goooooogle, and found two titles from the BBN guys, with these two links:
Noise & Vibration Control Engineering (etc)
Handbook of Acoustical Measurements and Noise Control, 3rd ed.

You might find these to be useful. I suspect that it is a highly uncertain proposition to calculate noise from first principles, but much easier to scale noise for different flows, pipes size, etc from a "baseline" measurement.

poetix99

Thank you for the references. I shall dig out my copy of Noise and Vibration control and see what it says. Again thanks for this useful reminder.

Much appreciated.

Bob B:)

There are companies that manufacture mufflers for just such applications. You might try some of them for information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back