Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steam quality, rare aplication

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenB

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2003
US
I have the task of supplying steam 2000pph, 300psi at 70% quality.
Any one's input on the quality factor will be appreciated.
Regards,
ER

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

That 70% quality... that would be a mixture of 70% steam + 30% water. What's the application? I've never heard of an application for WET steam like that.

Or would that be boiler efficiency with the fuel you plan to burn?

I've heard of enhanced oil recovery using very wet steam like this.

The specific example I heard about reused the recovered water from the oil production and it was poor quality, they kept the steam quality low to have lots of water present to avoid deposits. Or so the theory went.

I tell you, it is rare and their use exists.

TD2K, you are right on the money,
where can I get more information on the subject, I have a customer for this aplication.
I was thinking in using a desuperheater and controls, but if there are other options, I am willing to listen,

Thanks in advance,
ER

Unfortunately, I wasn't involved in the project and can't help you much simply as I don't have any specifics.

I would check with some boiler manufacturers for some leads. I believe though the boiler design itself produced this steam quality, sort of a once through design. It wasn't maintained with a desuperheater though or some sort of after boiler water injection loop.

I believe this application was for Esso Canada in one of their heavy oil fields in Canada, likely at Cold Lake.

In thread number 124-84220 on Jan 17, 2004, I posted a method that will work. It has worked in actual practice, but the applications were for low pressure steam (15 Psig range) How you design it is up to you. Surely with 300 PSIG steam, there is a lower pressure you can drop a small amount down to in order to get a superheated point to control at. You can do the thermodynamics to calculate the water flow needed, etc. The beauty of your application, is that it is sloppy wet by definition, and just about any old type of desuperheater should do the trick. I am leaning toward a venturi type. Better have some good long runs of straight length after the DSH, though.

Thanks rmw, and all involved in this thread,
I think the desuperheating system will work,
it is worth to give it a try. I will let you know.
Regards,
ER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back