Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steam surface condenser for steam turbine 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepu78

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2008
AU

My Mgr insists on steam surface condenser be designed by HTRI and TEMA?

Can you please give some reasons why it has to be by HEI-2629?

Thanks,
D

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Steam Surface Condensers are an extremely crucial heat exchanger required by thermal Power Plants in the generation of electricity. Properly designed, they strongly affect both the reliabilty and economics of the plant

There are many useful discussions on ENG-TIPS about the detailed and prudent design of Steam Surface Condensers..

Because there are some important "experienced based" design considerations for SSCs, HEI-2629 was developed... It has been around for a long time. HEI developed this standard because SSCs are extremely expensive ..... and mistakes not for newbies.

Some questions:

1) In your country, are you permitted to ask your boss why he insists on certain Codes and Standards ?

2) Has your boss ever specified a SSC ?

3) Have YOU ever specified a SSC ?

4) Have you begun discussions with proposed SSC vendors and asked thier opinion ?

5) Does the bossman have an MBA ? .... Why is he so unreasonable ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

The HEI design guidelines are the most complete for steam surface condensers.
This is what I have seen used on hundreds of condensers.
Some of the other specs may address interface with other parts of the system and such issues,
but when it comes to heat transfer, internal mechanical design, and vacuum levels you need the HEI.
It covers the actual materials, gages, flow ranges, and temperatures seen in condensers.
And you need an experienced design firm working on this.
The tube layout is one thing that no standard will dictate and it is very critical.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

KJC, It is hard to beat the stuff from Graham.
They have been at the top of this game for nearly a century.
This is why you hire a professional.
I'll give you advice all day long about materials of construction (esp tubes) but don't ask me about vacuum systems.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

kneedeep/Banu ...

Thanks so much for your repeated contribution to this thread. It is only when we all try to co-operate with each other that our profession can advance. Your contributions to engineering bulletin boards is well known

Certainly, you are NOT one of those people who USE OTHERS to get what they want ..... and then split without another word.

Thanks again, for your professionalism

Best regards

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back