Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steam trap on steam iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davkoo

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2013
BD
Hello,

It is my first time designing a steam and return condensate system for a new textile factory consisting of industrial steam irons.

Looking at the previous installations we had in other factories, the piping connection to the steam iron was as per the drawing attached, i.e the steam iron consists of two ports: a steam inlet port and a return outlet port having a valve to regulate the outlet flow. However, there is only a non return valve connected after the outlet port and no steam trap has been installed. Also, the operating steam pressure of the steam iron is 3barg.

I am confused as whether I should include a steam trap after each steam iron's outlet because whenever the steam iron will be used, live steam will go directly into the main return condensate pipeline. Also, I noticed that there is constantly flash/live steam being vented in the PPPPU condensate pump.

Will installing a steam trap after the steam iron outlet reduce the amount of steam being vented or should I include a flash vessel before the PPPPU pump?

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d007b53c-8667-491a-8105-d33a315dd2b9&file=Steam_ironer.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back