Steam Turbine Warm Up Silencer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kannn

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2021
EG
Hello

iam planning to purchase steam silencer to install it on the warm up line of steam turbine
The current arrangement is there is a manual gate valve (1.5 ") at the steam turbine body which directs the steam to atmosphere to warm up the turbine

The Manual gate valve is opened gradually till reach around 5 ton/hr of steam to warm up the turbine

pressure before the manual valve = 40 bar g
Temperature before the manual valve = 440 C
Maximum Flow = 10 ton/hr

i got an offer from a silencer manufacture offersing a silencer with an inlet pressure 25 barg
and he replied with the following :
During discharge of downstream valve, the pressure inside of silencer’s diffuser will be never exceed 25 barg. Gas pressure release phenomena will be observed during discharge to atmosphere.

So I need to understand how to calculate the pressure after the manual valve to confirm acceptance of this silencer , because i have another two offers offering silencers with a design pressure 40 bar

your help is needed :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Pressure loss through the silencer is a function of the massflow through the silencer and the exit pressure.
Pressure loss through the silencer is a function of the valve position only to the extent that it impacts massflow.
Gate valves are not good at controlling flow, I suggest adding a flow control orifice or selecting a valve that will limit flow (by choice of CV) to your requirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back