Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steam Vent Silencer Design (Do-it -yourself) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonysf

Mechanical
Nov 8, 2002
NZ
Can anyone advise where I can find basic (or detailed!)design guide for steam vent silencers.
Problem is I need to deal quickly (angry local residents) with two steam relief vents which currently discharge to a common 8" uncoupled vent pipe.
One is set 22 bar, 7050kg/h, other 12 bar, 23350kg/h.
Suppliers eg Universal etc a long way away and quoting weeks delivery. I need to build and fit something in the next few days.
Basic principle seems to be to use a diffuser to break up flow into smaller jets, higher frequency noise, which can then be more easily attenuated by use of absorptive materials. I've seen suggestions about rocks in oil drums, but looking for the basis to do something a little more sophisticated! Thanks for any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could bubble the discharge under water into a pit of water (this I have done) or buy the largest truck mufflers that you can find. However backpressure may be a problem with the muffler approach and you may have to put several in parallel to handle the flow.

One other way is to build a shed out of drywall, divide the shed into two rooms with a partition wall (that does not extend to the ceiling. Then connect the discharge line low into the shed so that the flow has to be upward and over the partition wall and then back down towards some louvre vents (the exit path is not direct). The shed should be lined with fibreglass batts for absorption. Depending on the flow velocity you may have to protect the fibreglass from erosion. This is strictly a temprorary solution. C. Hugh (

Thanks for those suggestions Hatch. I'm really looking to implement a permanent solution though - have access to full machine shop, ASME welders etc - I'm a pipe stress analyst by discipline so can deal with all those aspects OK. I thought to design a sparge type diffuser to max pressure drop 10% of set pressure, & mount in say 30" pipe casing with exit via perf tubes packed in fibreglass. ie make a silencer like the propietary ones. What I'm looking for is some guidance on proportioning the device, exit velocities to aim for, and so on. Can you suggest a text, - design guide I can access on line preferably, or thru library copy service?

Do it yourself vent silencing is not really economical. However I use "Silencing Handbook" by Bugess Industries as my reference. It is a very old text, don't know where it is available. C. Hugh (

Thanks for your help guys, Stoddard Silencers Canada came up with a quick delivery, so we are going with them. I'll try to find a copy of that "Silencing Handbook" for future reference - thanks

Prof M. L. Munjal (IISc Bangalore) has written world's best book on silencers named "ACOUSTICS OF DUCTS AND MUFFLERS". By using this book and many papers of him I am sure you can design silencer for any application.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back