Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel and SS Pipe Dims and Tols 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

crbeebe

Mechanical
Jan 21, 2005
US
I need to get the appropriate specification that covers the allowable diameter and wall thickness variation, and ovality of ERW and DSAW steel and stainless steel pipes.

There seems to be an abundance of specs (ASTM A53, A530, A999, A312, ASME B36.10, B39.10, API 5L)...which spec covers the allowable dimensions and tolerances for the pipes and which covers the material allowables?

Thanks in advance!

CRB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will be the design code being applied e.g. ASME B31.3 or ASME B31.8 and you will have to follow the chain of material specifications referenced in the design code to arrive at the governing standard for dimensional tolerances.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

I should clarify...this project is not governed by code. I will be using the pipe for R&D work, and there is no safety concerns.

I've found pipe at distributors (such as API5L B/ERW, API5L B/DSAW, and A53-B WP ERW), but the distributors do not know which documents govern the dimensional tolerances. I would like to avoid buying several expensive specs just to follow a trail to the spec that governs the tolerances.

Any suggestions?

API 5L has dimensions and tolerances, including out of roundness (OOR), contained within the specification which means that you will have to get a copy of API 5L to see what they are (by the way, if the distributors don't know what specifications are being applied to the pipe that they are selling then they shouldn't be selling pipe!!). ASTM A53 also has its own self-contained set of tolerances for pipe: >= NPS 2 +/- 1% on OD measurement and a table of minimum inspected wall thickness against specified wall thickness but it won't cover OOR. So, you have two choices:

1. If the material you wish to purchase only has certificates of conformity then you either buy the standards and compute the possible range of dimensions or you institute physical measurement checks;

2. Look for material with certificates to ISO 10474/EN 10204 2.3 or higher wherein the dimensional measurements for the test unit of pipe will be reported on the inspection documents although OOR will generally only be reported as "acceptable".

Good luck.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

crbeebe,

Of the specs that you list, I'm not familiar with "B39.10" and could not find it the standards data base that I have access to.

Can you provide the title and a brief description of the document so I can determine if it's something that I want to review.

Thanks,

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back