Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steel baseplate design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiguelD

Structural
Jun 3, 2008
US
I AM TRYING TO DESIGN A STEEL BASE PLATE FOR A COLUMN CONNECTION BUT I AM HAVING TROUBLE FINDING A DESIGN GUIDE. CAN ANYONE GIVE ME THE TYPES OF THINGS TO CHECK FOR AND FAILURE MECHANISM AND A POSSIBLY A DESIGN GUIDE TO FOLLOW.

PU= 10 KIPS
VU= 4.5 KIPS
MU= 53 KIP-FT
4 ANCHOR BOLTS
4000 PSI CONCRETE
PROPOSED 16X16 BASEPLATE 1/2" THICK
POSSIBLY AN HSS 10"X10"X3/8"

ALL HELP IS APPRECIATED I AM A RECENT GRADUATE AND NORMALLY I WOULD ASK MY LEAD ENGINEER BUT HE IS ON VACATION AND THE OTHER LEAD ENGINEER IS NOT THE TYPE ONE ASKS QUESTIONS TO.

~md

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did a baseplate design today that was located near the edge of the concrete slab (expansion joint). Make sure you provide adequate edge distance to the first row of anchor bolts so concrete splitting does not occur. For my situation, the column was designed with pinned-pinned end restraint so there was no shear and no moment (theortically), however I applied a nominal 40kN horizontal thrust (10 kips) for simple construction as per the design code of my region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back