Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel beam connector system 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelMe

Mechanical
Jun 2, 2005
US
Is there any company out there that sell steel beam connector system ? I am thinking something like Simpson ties except for the steel beam/joist application. Much appreciate.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by steel beam connectors? Is that things to connect steel beams to supports or things to connect other members to steel beams, or something else all together?

All of the above would be great, to connect steel beams together or to connect wood members to steel beams. This would be for residential constructions. For example, I want a great room in a remodel, and I want to put one long Ibeam down the center and supported with two steel posts, I would still need to connect all the wood members to this Ibeam to support the load. There must be some company out there fabricating this connector system and I was hoping some brilliant mind out there would help me. -Thanks

Beam and column connections need to be engineered and welded and/or bolted by qualified personnel, so these aren't typically a prefabricated connection. In fact I don't believe I have ever heard of a steel beam or column connection that is prefabricated or sold in a system. You should get a professional engineer to design that for you. Fabricators do have standard connections but they aren't meant for lay people to install. Now the wood to steel, you may find something from a manufacturer such as Simpson Strong-Tie. These too would need to be designed by a professional to be sure you aren't overstressing the connector and that all that needs to be considered does get considered. You can at least get an idea of what you are looking at on Simpson's website. They have a lot of information there as well as drawings and pictures. Keep in mind that the remodel you mention will require an engineer's design to check that all members work safely and properly. For instance, you may or may not need foundation work under the columns you mention. There's quite a bit to consider beyond just adding a beam and columns. I hope this helps some.

Oh, that is too bad that there isn't a company out there that does prefab connection system for steel. I was really hoping that there would be one. My applications is pretty straight forward, and I did not want to go through reinventing the wheel if others have already done so. Maybe I am being naive, but it just seems that I could easily looks up the table and determine the steel member that I would need for the loading. You can easily do that for a wood beam, and if your steel beam specs exceed the wood beam, it just seems like it would be a plug and play calculations. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back