Steel beam in 1968

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerRanger

Structural
Jan 17, 2005
AU
Hi Fellows

I am designing an extension for an old building. And I digged out some old drawings. The design was on 1968. My question is at that time, the steel beam is present eg.( I 12" x 5" x 30 # ), Is it 12" - depth, 5" - flange width, and what is 30# mean (I assume it is thickness, but what is # related to ")? The drawing looks like it is the taper flange beam? could i assume it is uniform thickness? In 1968, would I assume the steel strength 250Mpa yield and 410Mpa ultimate? Where I can find out more infomation?
Thank you for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The following information is from the 1967 BHP sections book and is therefore probably applicable to your beam.
The 12 x 5 is the depth by width in inches (taper flange beam).
Weight; 30 lbs/ft
average flange thk; 12.9mm
web thk; 8.4mm
Ixx; 206.93 in4
Zxx; 34.49 in3
Sxx; 39.68 in3 (plastic mod.)

For sections thicker than 0.25 in, yield stress is 230 MPa and UTS is 415 MPa min., assuming it was produced to the usually specified AS.A149. (If AS.A157 was used these values could be down to 178 and 309 MPa, but I would think it unlikely.)

Quite by accident I came upon a copy of BHP Rolled Sections and Plates 1972 General Edition in a secondhand bookstore and picked it up for $1. It's amazing how often it's been useful! I even developed a Space Gass library with all the UBs, UCs and channels for one project.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back