Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel beam insert into a CMU wall 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjhubo

Structural
Jul 29, 2003
CA
Hi,

I want to insert a W8x18 steel beam into a CMU wall trying to have a 4' cantilever at the other end of the steel. Can anyone give some suggestion about the connection detail between the steel shape and the CMU wall on both top and bottom flanges.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to build a small steel bearing plate into the CMU wall and weld the beam to it... nothing required at the top of the steel beam. You may even want to leave a bit of a gap.

Alternatively, you might want to have a couple of holes in the steel beam bottom flange and embed a couple of 1/2" dia bolts into one of the voids in the CMU wall. OK for small loads and the voids in the CMU wall never line up with the bolts.

Dik

Please give more detail.
1. You want to attach beam to masonry wall. Beam will cantilever out 4'-0"?
2. Is the beam "in line" with the wall?
3. Is the beam perpendicular to the wall?
4. What are the expected loads on the beam?
5. How much beam can bear on the wall (this depends on the answers to #4 and #5)?
The answers to the above questions will help determine your connection.

are you trying to create a fixed end condition in the CMU for the cantilevered beam? or are you extending the end of the beam beyond the wall 4 ft with a backspan to another support?

||--------

or

------------------
^ O

My suggestion is to erect a separate steel column for the beam like a hanging post instead of using the concrete block wall. I dont think such CMU walls can take loads on cantilevered beams. You may also want to place a diagonal strut under the beam

Thanks ArchEng59; I just assumed that there was a backspan.

tjhubo:
my method doesn't work if there is no backspan. The backspan should be approximately 2x the cantilever as a minimum

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back