Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Steel Building top floor supported by rafters 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tezza91

Electrical
Sep 3, 2020
GB
Just to make it clear that I am not going to start building anything without consulting a structural engineer first, I just wanted to make sure I'm not off my nut for suggesting it and that the idea is at least feasible.

I am a qualified and experienced welder and fabricator and have built and erected many standard steel frame buildings before so that side of it isn't a problem.

I am now designing my own building, it is to be 18mx18m 7m to the eves consisting of 3 6m bays. 1 bay is to consist of 3 floors of office, storage and assembly space.

Up to this point, quite simple, however, I've had the thought of extending the 2nd floor over the entire 3 bays, but I would like the 2 workshop bays free of pillars/columns. So the idea is to simply have 1 set of beams to be supported from columns attached to the rafters.

I'd appreciate it if some of you could look at the attached drawings and let me know if this is feasible depending on section sizes.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=2aa7c386-759d-4a5a-adbf-e3d70086f8c4&file=Building.PDF
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought OSB could withstand some water whereas Particle Board cannot withstand any water. I generally hear of OSB being called chipboard but I have sometimes heard Particle Board called chipboard. OSB is used on diaphragm roofs all the time I thought.

38 mm OSB board is not a standard size. Most common would be concrete slab on steel deck. Composite beams could be used and would help with the 12m spans.

BA

Yes, I am talking about a wood structure in general. It can be a subfloor or roof sheathing. My comment has to with whether it can withstand water or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back