Steel channel at the edge of RC slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

mats12

Geotechnical
Dec 17, 2016
SI
Greetings!

I am dealing with a steel channel that is placed at the edge of concrete slab.
Since there is a 160 mm thick slab bellow a channel Im wondering how to design/calculate this
for shear forces? I was thinking to use the short corbel model (strut and tie model),
but Im not sure. I dont want to overlook something important since loads on the steel channel are not
that small: Qk = 25 kN per 0,50 m. What should be checked there?

I'd like to support the channel with a low part of the slab, I really dont want to rely on
the anchors only (welded to the side of channel placed into the slab before pouring a concrete).

edge_qsxzag.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd check it for bearing and shear and weld a short length of rebar to the bottom flange to reflect the horizontal load from your little strut and tie model.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Thank you for reply but I'm not really sure how to check it for shear - can the shear of short corbel be checked by compression strut?
Or should I use cross section of b/h = 320 x 160 mm?

I think shear failure (2) in more likely to happen than (1)

failure_rrgmrq.png

In US practice, I'd be treating this as a ledge design, similar to what is done with plank supporting precast beams: Link. I'm pretty sure other places have their own answers to this stuff such as "nib" design in the British codes. For concentrated loads, in particular, the dominant failure mode tends to have a character similar to eccentric punching shear at slab edge columns. In some respects, that's actually a capacity perk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back