Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Deck Corrosion and Slab Damage in Harsh Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAB01

Structural
Dec 8, 2023
US
I am looking at designing repairs for a rusted out steel deck and a hole in the slab above. The location is near high temperature industrial equipment and is exposed to moisture from rain. I am looking at epoxy rebar or a sacrificial zinc anode tied to the rebar and/or deck. The original design only had one layer of rebar, so I suspect the failure occurred because the tension couple was lost when the deck rusted out. I plan on using the deck as a form instead of a composite so that slab failure will not occur if the deck fails, but is there anything I can do to prevent corrosion of the deck beyond standard galvanization?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ventilation?
Coatings?
Design the slab to carry the load without any contribution of the metal deck, just treating it as formwork?

About 50 years ago, I did a report on damage to a parking garage. In my report, not related to the damage, I noted that the steel deck was corroding (I didn't know if the deck was used compositely or as formwork, and the topping was thin but greater than 2-1/2"). I was transferred out to Toronto shortly after, and I don't know what happened. Deck, other than formwork is not my preference for a parking deck.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

How old is the deck that rusted away? You'll likely have some issues in 25 years but it likely isn't worth all of the up front money for localized issues, imo. For these applications, we usually call out a standard G90 deck and give a recommendation for keeping it covered in a thick layer of paint for the full life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back