Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Deck Diaphragm Attached to TrusJoist TJLX Open Web Truss

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveRivard

Structural
Mar 23, 2006
US
Does anyone have any experience with attaching 1.5B steel decking to wood trusses? It certainly seems reasonable that this diaphragm should perform adequately, but if anyone had any solid information with regard to this diaphragm and fastening, your input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not against performing the required mental gymnastics to determine what I should specify, but I'd prefer to see if anyone has any guidance first! :)

Regards,
Steve Rivard, PE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never run across this application.
I would think that the failure mechanisms for screws/nails/fasteners would need to be checked.
Fastener shear, fastener pull out, and deck pull over.
Might also consider checking with deck manufacturer to see if there are any minimums for the size of fastener to attach the deck.

I've seen metal deck used in place of wood decking, about a half dozen times in the last five years. This was on jobs where the company I worked for, supplied the wood trusses.

I have not attempted to design a system using metal deck with wood trusses. When asked about it I just refer people to the metal deck suppliers.

To me the major concern is the attachment of the metaldeck to the wood trusses. If the engineer is experienced in the design of wood connections, then he or she should be able to transfer the loads out of the metal deck into the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back