Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel Deck for Equipment Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashain

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2011
US
My elevator contractor uses the steel deck to support the transformer and elevator controller and claims that the support will be embedded in the concrete when the concrete is poured.

How should I tell the contractor they are wrong and they have to remove the equipment and support the equipment to the finished concrete later.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Site instruction? Letter? Email? Whichever, just make sure he gets the message that he won't be paid unless he follows your direction. If you don't have enough clout, the structural engineer does.

i am currently doing an elevated metal deck slab supporting transformers equipment. embedded are small channels supporting the transformer.

so yeah the supports are embedded by around 3".

but then again your transformer maybe different from my transformer coz i dont have elevators.

The OP said the equipment will be supported on the metal deck, then the concrete slab cast around the supports. Cart before the horse.

LOL- the architect has no problems with it huh? They generally are not going to care about something like that if you cannot see it and it doesn't affect their fire rating. But a good architect would say "That is up to my structural engineer, not me.", and stay out of it. Same with the CM, back your decision not question it.

If I am feeling particularly smart-@## that day I may say "If you want to hire another engineer to sign and seal your support design I will review it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back