Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel detailing pricing information 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpmbm

Structural
Jul 9, 2008
TH
Ladies & Gents,

Does anyone aware of steel detailing pricing structure for America and Canada markets? By using X-Steel. (Price per ton???)

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

tpmbm,

I working in Australia so I cannot give you a price per tonne for your market. From what I am led to believe, the cost of steel in your region is significantly less than mine, that's why a lot of multi-storey buildings in Australia tend to be concrete construction.

Usually large Quantity Surveying firms release publications that are used for estimating, you might want to look for one of these publications for your region.

We use SDS/2 steel detailing software which is comparable. I happen to work for a firm that does both engineering and steel detailing. Not only do we provide steel shop drawings but we can provide sealed calc's to back up our work in most states. We engineer all connections or comply with the connections given by the EOR. If the connections are given we will not provide calculations. We simply indicate that we comply with the connections indicated in the design drawings and calculations will not be furnished. That covers us. It usually crops up when connections are given in the S drawings but a line item buried in the spec's requires the calc's. We routinely charge between $10-$15 per ton for those connection calculations but it truly depends on the amount of calculations we provide. If all connection calculations are required the fee would be on the project tonnage. For example, some may not want calculations for simple shear connections but do want them for braced bays. So it truly depends. If it really is minimal work for us and for a favored customer we would donate it.
Secondly, because we are saddled with corporate overhead we cannot always compete. A lot of contract detailing also occurs. Individual or small detailing firms price it anywhere from $85 per ton and up.Routinely $100 a ton.
We have a minimum fee of $15,000. That gets you detailing for projects up to about 100 tons. After that we charge $165 per ton until 1500 to 2000 tons. 3000 tons we will do for $140 a ton. We rarely dip below $140/per ton. We get those fees routinely. Midwest, south and east coast. From what we have seen fees reduce as you head out towards Arizona. We stay away from the west coast.
Seismic does not bother us. It is a different market and we don't have to go that far. We stay busy.
For you engineers: Not all detailers produce junk. Not all detailers do connection design. I would safely say that most will exclude calc's. Fabricators try and do the same.
Our main consideration is schedule. Unrealistic schedules cost more.
It can be lucrative. Schedules are equally brutal!

Hope that helps.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back