Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Steel For Cryogenic Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmil

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2002
US
I am looking for a low cost, high strength steel (bar or forging) for high pressure cryogenic service. We are currently using Nitronic 50 but it is very expensive and I feel that it is overkill for our needs. My research in various literatures led me to SA-522 Type 1 (UNS K81340). This seems to be exactly what I was looking for but I am having trouble finding it. Does anyone know where I can get this grade of steel or another name that it might go by?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your replies.

Rich, I called ISG and they could not supply it and referred me to other distributors. Unfortunately all those leads turned up nothing.

Codeeng, unfortunately the 300 series austenitic stainless steels do not have the strength that I need although I am proposing to the end user to redesign the whole system based on 316 SS but I want to make sure that this is the only alternative.

Thanks again.

andyenergy (Materials)

LNG PIPING Specificatin classification using INVAR 64%Fe-36%NI for PIPING AND FITTING and SS 304/304L FOR FLANGES AND VALVES. Piping Class: 150, 300, 600. Temp -325F to 230F.

Also, for LNG TANK BOTTOM FLOOR PLATE.

As an alternate to Nitronic, I recommend you try 17-4PH stainless, grade H1150M. It is easier to get than Nitronic, has higehr strength tha 300 series stainless, and is regularly use in cryogenic applications.

bcd

Thanks bcd. Someone else suggested 17-7 PH but I am reluctant to use it since its properties are not well documented in ASME Section II. I need the allowable stresses to proove the design integrity and safety of the components to the provincial safety authority and to get a CRN (that's the way it works in Canada). The safety authority is usually very picky about the calculations and any straying from the ASME code must be substantiated by volumes of calculations and/or tests. I am going to have to pass it by them to see if they would accept the use of this material for this service.

Thanks again but the one question that keeps bugging me is why no one sells or produces SA-522 Type 1 (unless I am willing to buy a heat). It seemed like the perfect solution to my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back