Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steel frame to support 50 tons 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

tartanss

Marine/Ocean
Dec 22, 2011
TH
Hi this is my first post but have read many very interesting and helpful replies to posts made here. I am trying to design a frame for a platform to carry 50 tonnes(50,000kgs). The platform is 20mts long and 8mts wide. I cannot find computations for a spread load over a few of the beams. Also the beams supported at each end are really a cut (I) beam to creat a 1 degree fall to the centre. For safety concerns it would be necessary to allow for a concentrated loading over 2 to 3 beams. Initially I have used 250x300x10 (I) beams which have an excess strength but what about the rewelded joint. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hokie66, I apologize for my tardy response as I am not a daily subscriber to engtips....my disagreement with your post brought out a reply from you that was a little blunt. Why would you assume that I think there is only one way to do it? Why would you assume that I don't know there are many types of structures requiring different solutions?

I know he is a marine/ocean...I read his original post. Do you think it is impossible to run a pier into the ocean? What I and everyone else noticed is that there is quite a bit of info missing, as I stated in my post. You lecturing me on how I need to broaden my horizons from an original post like his is quite the "long bow". The simple fact is we need more info. My reply was, like yours, a shot in the dark.

Your numerous replies to eng tips are great and appreciated. But please respond with a smile when someone says they disagree with you. Your pride will feel alot better.

These kinds of OP’s and questions drive me up the wall. They seem to be someone’s pipe dream, with so little of the needed basic info. for a meaningful discussion on a structural design problem, that they are just not worth wasting the time to participate. We certainly shouldn’t be doing the design on something like this, and we probably shouldn’t even be aiding and abetting someone who seems to know as little about the topic as appears to be the case here. He needs tables to design some beams but doesn’t know or isn’t willing to explain how they are loaded or supported. All we know is that he’s got a 50ton (or tonne?) boat. Then it degenerates to two of the more astute fellows involved in the thread shooting at each other when they were both just throwing out ideas to try to get the OP’er. to explain himself. Bigmig...., thicken your skin a little, I doubt Hokie was sniping at you personally. StructDave beat me to the punch with the same question list that I started and unless the OP’er. answers his questions and realizes those answers are needed for further discussion why are we even wasting our time?

We are kinda playing a grand guessing game here with the OP’er. and he has decided not to give us enough info. to really discuss the design problem; probably, in good part, because he doesn’t understand the problem well enough to even know what info. is actually needed to start to discuss a meaningful solution. Tartanss..., there is a fundamental disconnect here, when you are asking for tables to, as you say ‘design this frame’ but then don’t answer the basic questions which are needed to even get started on the design. People are pointing out potential deficiencies, but we have no idea how this frame is going to be loaded or supported, or why it needs a difficult beam detail for some imagined drainage need. I don’t think you understand the basic design process or concepts, so you should slow down and answer some of the outstanding questions, instead of going back and pretending that you are actually designing something. At the moment, you have an idea and some sort of need, but don’t seem interested in taking advice about some of the potential pitfalls others see with your idea. No one on this forum is likely to do your design for you; and you’re not hearing and responding to their advice, so... good luck on your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back