Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

steel framing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

celeron8

Civil/Environmental
May 27, 2012
US
I was looking at roof framing plan, and it includes the following W21x55 (+2 1/2"). what does that mean (+2 1/2")?
framing_dfa7pd.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It could mean lots of things, but more than likely there's another note somewhere that says "top of steel elevation is XXX unless otherwise noted." That beam is set 2.5" higher than the others. I'm going to guess and say that it runs parallel to a bunch of open web steel joists (probably with a K designation).

Probably means, as phamENG said, it's 2 1/2" deeper than the other beams, or deeper than some other option at that location.

Note: You may want to edit the text of your post to match the graphic, celeron8. (2 1/2" instead of 2 1/5") Before I looked at the graphic, I was about to move on, having no idea what +2 1/5" would be.

Rod Smith, P.E., The artist formerly known as HotRod10

Thank you. I edited the original post. It might be elevations, cross section is not showing it clearly. but that is the best explanation

This notation is used in erection drawings. In general the elevation of TOS (top of steel ) is given for each floor with general notes. The exceptions for each member is indicated by giving TOS distance (+) above or (-) below.

In this case , W 21X55 (+2 1/2in ) means, the TOS level for this member +2.5 inch higher than the general floor TOS elevation. For instance, if Elevation TOS =60'-2.5", the TOS elevation of W 21X55 (+2 1/2in ) member will be =60'-5".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back